Remember! Everyone’s an Asset Builder. The 40 Developmental Assets is designed to inform individuals about the Developmental Assets framework and motivates them to be effective asset builders.
Reminder! Developmental Assets training is a framework. It consists of External Assets and Internal Assets.
External asset categories:
- Support. Support them with love, care and attention. (Week 1)
- Empower. Empower them with opportunities to make a difference in their family and community. (Week 2)
- Boundaries. Establish clear boundaries and set higher expectations.
- Engage/Construct. Help them find activities they can engage themselves in that make constructive use of their time.
Internal asset categories:
- Nurture: Nurture their commitment to learning.
- Positive Values: Instill positive values to guide them.
- Social Competencies. Help them develop skills and social competencies.
- Celebrate: Nurture and celebrate their positive identity.
Within these categories there are 40 ways ANYONE can be an asset builder.
Week 2 bring us to Empowerment!
Here are five ways you can empower a young person:
- include young people as active participants in events.
- Encourage teenagers to take leadership roles in their community.
- Do simple acts of community service together.
- Give young people appropriate and important responsibilities within the family.
- Teach children and youth how to be safe wherever they go.
Be intentional. Be an asset builder.
Next Week: Boundaries & Expectations