Commitment to Learning
Bonding to School | Young person cares about her or his school.
- If you are able, purchase school t-shirts, caps, sweatshirts, or other school clothing that’s for sale. Wearing these items helps children show pride in their school.
- Participate with your child in service projects, such as food drives, conducted by the school. Invite one of your child’s friends to join you.
- Show that you care about your child’s school. Join a parent-teacher organization, attend conferences and special events, and volunteer in any way you can.
- Listen to your teenager when he complains about school or talks about not feeling connected. Is there a specific problem?
- Don’t forget to identify one caring adult at school as your family’s “ally”. Aim for at least five caring adults in your teen’s life.
The 40 Developmental Assets® may be reproduced for educational, noncommercial uses only. Copyright © 1997 Search Institute®, 615 First Avenue NE, Suite 125, Minneapolis, MN 55413; 800-888-7828; www.search-institute.org. All rights reserved.