Commitment to Learning
Reading for Pleasure | Young person reads for pleasure three or more hours per week.
- Bring a young person to look for books at garage sales, rummage sales, and second-hand stores.
- Ask children to read to you as they learn to read. Show them that you are excited and proud about their reading.
- Ask a teenager to recommend a favorite book. Read the book and start a discussion later about the characters’ values.
- Give your child books and magazine subscriptions as birthday and holiday presents.
- Make it a family ritual to read together in the evening – with the television, cell phones, and computers turned off.
The 40 Developmental Assets® may be reproduced for educational, noncommercial uses only. Copyright © 1997 Search Institute®, 615 First Avenue NE, Suite 125, Minneapolis, MN 55413; 800-888-7828; www.search-institute.org. All rights reserved.