To protect yourself and your family by:
- Practice good hygiene (handwashing) after contact with flood waters.
- Do not allow children to play in flood water areas.
- Wash children’s hands frequently (always before meals).
- Do not allow children to play with toys that have been contaminated by flood water and have not been disinfected.
- It is also important to avoid flood waters if you have open wounds or rashes as they can become infected.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reminds residents in flooded areas that eating or drinking anything contaminated by flood water can cause diarrheal disease.
Despite how “clean the water looks” you never know what could be lurking beyond eyesight.