Today, 3/15/17 is National Kick Butts Day! Today is a day national day of activism that empowers youth to stand out, speak up and seize control against Big Tobacco!. While Kick Butts Day is officially held on one day each year, our hope is that every day will be Kick Butts Day in the fight against tobacco. By making every day Kick Butts Day, we can win the fight against tobacco use, the number one cause of preventable death in the United States and around the world.
Did you know?
- 77,000 Kids in MN are current tobacco users
- 9 out of 10 smokers start by age 18
- 50% of MN teen smokers have tried to quit
- 80% of teen smokers become adult smokers despite intending to quit after a few years
- Ultimately, 118,000 current MN kids will die from smoking
- 1 in 7 MN High school students have tried Snus
- Youth are more likely to use tobacco products if they are flavored and if youth are exposed to tobacco advertisement frequently, including at the point of sale.
- Youth use of E-cigarettes more than doubled from 2011 to 2012 with over 10% of youth surveyed reporting use of e-cigarettes, up from 4.7%.
- Over ¾ of youth who had used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days had also smoked combustible tobacco products.
Several emerging tobacco products resemble candy in both packaging and flavor, which have been shown to disproportionately target youth users.